Sunday, March 30, 2014

Notes on New York Trip

1. Met museum
a. Washington crossing the Delaware
b. Gilbert Stuart:
Two portraits
- Washington standing, young man - Full figure
- Washington head portrait, older statesman

2. Met Museum
Faberge:
- Just in time for Easter
http://cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2011/04/faberge-eggs-just-in-time-for-easter.html
- Faberge and Vereschchagin
http://cameraluc.blogspot.ca/2011/04/faberge-and-vereshchagin.html

3. Met Museum
Tiffany's stained glass

4. Cloisters
- Canterbury Cathedral Stained Glass
- St. Lawrence the Martyr- Stained Glass
- St. Lawrence attending to the poor - Relief
- Mary with Jesus: Boxwood Sculpture

5. New York:
106th Street Garden
Memory
Exedra

6. Philadelphia
Washington Square
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Square_(Philadelphia)
a. Washington Statue
Based on Houdon's
Bust: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jean_Antoine_Houdon
Statue: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Washington_(Houdon)
b. Eternal flame
c. Tomb of the unknown soldier
d. Quote by Washington

6. Dog "rescue"
At UWS, near Duane Reade
Named Grant (Ulysses or Cary?)
Looks like The American Foxhound
Washington's dog

7. See my posts on the winning dog show dog

8. Ruby Tuesday - see Wikipedia
- Restaurant by 42nd Street
- Song by Rolling Stones
- I sing the first stanza as I walk by either to walk to Port Authority or the NYPL
- Different cover versions
- About a free spirit

9. Purim
Taschen at the Plaza
- Purim just ended (March 15-March 16)
- My blog post
- PbS religion and ethics
- Many variations of Rembrandt paintings of Esther

10. First day of Spring
Thursday March 20th
When I traveled to Philadelphia

11. St. Peter and St. Paul's Cemetary
- It stopped raining
- The temperature was ok, but it seemed windy
- As I stood by Larry's grave, there was a gust of wind, which lasted perhaps a minute, or a minute and a half. It was not "ordinary."
It felt like a big hug

- I think each deceased person has his own way of communicating to the world below.
- Larry's fits his effusive, bigger-than-life, and generous character, holding nothing back

The last time I was there, it was a large burst of cicaaiadia (post here), which was extraordinary beause they are heard only a couple of times a year.

Cicaddia-- and Larry---- like a chorus...

Thursday was also the First Day of Spring.

The last time I was there, it was annuciation of Mary.

It must be lonely in heaven, lonely for those left behind. That is why we have all to do our best to meet up with those who left us behind....i.e., in heaven