Friday, August 15, 2014

New York Imaginations


#whereandwheniliketoread
[Photo By: KPA]


In my previous post, I put up a photograph of C Cafe, in Celebration Square, Mississauga, where I go to have coffee, and sometimes breakfast.

The cafe is quiet in the early mornings (around 8am-10am), an ideal time for me to go and read. The spray of the fountains masks other noises, and it also adds a peaceful background for reading.

My photograph was not as I had wished it to be. The rain storm the night before had flooded the cafe, and the staff had piled the seats towards the back, leaving a messy cluster. I moved a couple of tables and some chairs to the front, but I couldn't arrange the whole patio, leaving awkward spaces where tables or chairs should be.

I have always liked the pleasant rhythm of the chairs and the round tables. I tried taking a picture a second time this morning (I went early especially for that), and I am pleased with the result.

The New York Public Library is asking its blog members to contribute photographs of where they like to read to their twitter page #ireadeverywhere. This is actually incorrect. I think people have particular places where they like to read. I would have called their hashtag #whereandwheniliketoread.

Mine, for now, is the quiet C Cafe, early in the morning, with a cup of coffee. I don't like to eat while reading. I think probably becasue eating requires some concentration, to enjoy the food, to use the utensils, and so on. And I think that I associate coffee with reading, some kind of Pavlovian reflex. And the coffee should be a Starbucks.

I think I will submit the photo above.

I have placed my cup of coffee (they don't have ceramic mugs, I asked), my book, and the rope sling of my carry-on bag in the frame, to put my presence in the photograph.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------