
I'm watching Seinfeld now probably the third time around. I wish Jerry would go back to his old crew, and resume that sardonic sitcom.
The Race is about Jerry re-running a running race where his opponent accuses him of cheating. Jerry always wins anyway (any kind of race, it is his show after all), but his co-stars have to struggle along, winning some, losing some.
In The Race, the trouble-prone Elaine's new boyfriend, Ned, is introduced thus:
GEORGE: What are you doing with the Daily Worker?
ELAINE: Ned must have left it here.
GEORGE: Your boyfriend reads the Daily Worker? What is he? A communist?
ELAINE: HE reads everything, you know, Ned's very well read.
GEORGE: Maybe he's just "very well RED"?
ELAINE: Communist? Don't you think he probably would have told me?
GEORGE: Well, does he wear bland, drab, olive colored clothing?
ELAINE: Yes, . . . yes he does dress a little drab.
GEORGE: Huh, he's a communist. . . .
-----------------------------------
ELAINE: So how was work? Another day, another dollar?Parallel with this "are you a commie" scene is a scene with a Chinese delivery man who takes Elaine off the "do not deliver" list because she wouldn't pay for a delivery she didn't order.
NED: I guess.
ELAINE: Oh well nothing wrong with that. Gotta make those big bucks. . . . money money money money money money money . . . ha ha ha ha ah . . . are you a communist?
NED: Yes, as a matter of fact I am.
ELAINE: OH, AH! OH! WOW! WHOA! A COMMIE! Wow, gee, man it must be a bummer for you guys what with the fall of the Soviet empire and everything .
NED: Yeah, well, we still got China, and Cuba,
ELAINE: Yeah, but come on . . .
NED: I know it's not the same.
ELAINE: Well, you had a good run, what was it 75, 80 years? Wreaking havoc, making everybody nervous.
NED: Yeah, we had a good run.
ELAINE: Well, so enjoy yourself. (clink glasses) ha ha uh ha.
-----------------------------------
ELAINE: I didn't order any of this. I'm not paying for this.Elaine of course cannot stick to this, and tries for another delivery.
LEW: Fine Benes. We are putting you on our list.
ELAINE: What list?
LEW: The "do not deliver" list."off the delivery list
ELAINE: MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU! Well, I guess we'll just go out.
ELAINE: (phones) Um, yeah, hi, I'd like delivery please to 16 West 75th St. apartment 2G.Ned is the visitor in her apartment.
LEW: I know that address. You're Benes, right. You're on our list. No more delivery.
ELAINE: No. no, she doesn't live here anymore. This is someone else.
LEW: Oh, yeah. What's the name?
ELAINE: Why do you need the name? You already have the address.
LEW: We need a name. Give us a name.
ELAINE: Okay, okay, Ned Isakoff.
LEW: Ah, I knew it was you! You tried to trick Hop Sing! You are onour list; Elaine Benes! And now you are on our list; Ned Isakoff.-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NED: You got me blacklisted from Hop Sing's?
LEW: She named name!
Posted By: Kidist P. Asrat
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
