Indians Will Be Indians
David Yeagley, who calls himself a conservative American Indian, hosts Bad Eagle, a website with an open invitation to the world. It hosts a myriad of forum topics ranging from art to music to a subject simply entitled "Death," which is actually an interesting topic once one gets over the squeamish parts.
I found Yeagley's endless interests to be a great asset to the site, and few internet communities have such a wide range of discussions. But, it was actually an Indian site, with an Indian perspective.
Now, how can an Indian live an ethnocentric life while also living as a citizen of America (or Canada, for that matter)? Is there really an Indian who is at peace with America and willing to swallow the bitter pills of defeat? I thought so for a while at Bad Eagle, but I think I was asking for a superhuman feat [read more here].
----------------------------------------------------------------------
The Amhara Are Still Amhara
My cousin was here the other day with her children as well as her brother and his wife.
It is interesting. She stopped her memoir as she entered Canada. I was right about her reticence to write about her Canadian "experience." There is nothing interesting there as far as the "third world" anti-Canadian perspective of most immigrants. Her children, whom she brought with her, will grow up in the open-arms of Canada's multicultural society. They can keep their "identities" while enjoying the benefits of a First World country.
She told me she is writing a "fiction" now.
She brought up "identity" as part of her concern in her book. Finally, I realized this was what it was about.
I told her that "identity" in Canada was always going to be an issue for her (...and people like her - although I didn't say that).
"Ethiopia is going through some kind of renaissance. Why don't you and your family figure out a way to return? To go "back home." You came here through the most difficult way possible [remember they crossed deserts and countries before reaching Djibouti and finally coming to Canada as "refugees.")
Don't worry about culture and language. Both, especially for Ethiopians here who live the culture daily, are easy to regain. Your children [they don't speak Amharic but understand it] will easily pick it up.
A country is a big thing. Everyone needs one."
She (and her brother) were listening to me intently.
I am glad I attended the dinner. I was curious to see what she would do after her "memoir." I imparted an important message. No-one can say now that I didn't. The rest is up to them.
