
QEELIN
Wang Wang Small Bulldog Mario
Diamond Pendant Necklace 18K White and Rose Gold
CAN$4,500
Available (Holt) in-store
The Precious Friend You AdoreI had my Chinese horoscope read on Saturday. I went to the Square One Chinese New Year "installation," which included a fortune teller. I briefly wrote about the event here.
Created in 2004 by Dennis Chan, Qeelin is a fine jewellery brand which takes inspiration and emotional resonance from Chinese symbolism. The brand creates exquisite jewellery intended for daily wear that is meaningful, contemporary, and universal.
[...]
Wang Wang, marries man’s best friend with woman’s, delighting lovers of diamonds and dogs alike. Inspired by his deep love for animals, Qeelin’s Creative Director Dennis Chan brings canine jewellery designs – hence the name ‘Wang Wang’, meaning ‘Woof Woof’ in Mandarin – into the luxury realm for the first time.
I was going to give the fortune teller all the wrong information (date of birth, etc.) but decided I would go for the real deal.
She had an app she was consulting the whole time. She rarely looked at me, so engrossed was she in deciphering the codes from her iPhone. Perhaps it was a gimmick, to see furtively my reactions and my "energy."
"You will have a lot of conflict this year."
"As usual. There is always conflict," I couldn't help rebut.
She looked a little taken aback. I had approached her with a smile and a friendly "Hello," both of which were sincere.
Fortune teller: "Yes. You have fire in your sign."
Me: "Oh, I see where the conflict comes from."
Fortune teller: "Well fire is also good; the sun is one big fire. It gives warmth and lfe."
Me: "I see."
She then spent more time clicking on her iPhone.
Fortune teller: "Well. You also have water."
Me: "Oh. That will take care of the fire."
Silence and busy on the app.
Fortune teller: "No. You are all fire."
I almost laughed.
She must be making it up as she goes along.
She was very intuitive, looking for my reactions. I toned down my expression and looked as sweet as possible.
Like all fortune tellers (palm and card readers for example) she was waiting for cues from me to make her assessments.
By the end, she couldn't quite "get me," and finished off her session hurriedly with a "Happy New Year!" and a slightly confused look.
"Happy New Year"I replied cheerfully as I gathered my things together.
I had barely got down from the high stool before she waived over the next contestant, "Come on over!"
And this was all for free. I wonder why?
But don't underestimate this practice. Its primary source is the Devil who guides them in their ways, and waits for vulnerable moments when he can dig in his presence.
So right in the middle of Square One, we had an alien devil practice going on, and in a foreign tongue.
I will not be doing this again.
Welcome to multicultural Mississauga.

Chinese Horoscope Booth
Square One, 2018
[Image source]
