Thursday, December 20, 2018

X-Mas in Mississauga

There are many kinds of trees. Even the fir trees are up (although I'm not sure if they're real). The dominant style is the leafless winter tree, with sparkles.

Celebration Square glows in an ominous lavender/purple light at night. And the diminutive tree in the center has ice-white lights, on even during the day, advertising its commercial purpose clearly, with the plastic fence around it paying allegiance to: Amacon which is
recognized as one of Canada’s most influential real estate development and construction firms.
Of course! They must be part of highly active condo construction that is going on in the Square One area.

The tree looks wintery enough, but is hardly the multi-colored tree which gives the holiday its festive air. And there is no star (or angel) to top it off.

Christmas is just another holiday on the roster. There is delicious traditional food and drink (how about eggnog at Starbucks), and lovely songs (Jingle Bells, anyone?), and the Mall's shops have their generous pre-Christmas sales going on.

But Jesus and Mary and Joseph are nowhere to be seen. Even the donkey couldn't find a part in this multi-culti-fun-for-all-X-Mas-Season.

Below are some photos I took. But I soon tired of the themes. I couldn't find bright lights or golden globes anywhere. And the trees that trees with that decor were set-up for Santa (see below) to have a $40 family photo shoot, and got an album with beautifully scripted "Happy Holidays!"

But the carols are eternal, and eternally beautiful. I pass the time walking by all this by singing along (sometimes a little too loudly) along with the pre-recorded carols that discreetly play through the speakers.

"Noel, Noel, Noel, Noel
Born is the King of Israel."

And my years in choirs have taught me the descant that is sang with the last chorus.















"And so this is Christmas"
John Lennon


----------------------
Photos By: KPA