I am interested in technique and method, and tried, through the various links and websites, to find out if Shellie Zhang - the artist - had created these neon lights herself.
Here are the email interactions I had with various bodies involved in the installation, including Zhang:
To Fentster:
To:info@fenster.org
Apr 9 at 9:26 AM
To whom it may concern:
I am an artist who is interested in cross-cultural communications.
Regarding Shellie Zhang's work now on display at the "Fenster: A Window into Jewish Life Through Art" exhibition, could you inform me if the pieces are found objects (neon lights from the historical buildings) or originals created by the artist through blown or sculpted glass.
Thank you,
Kidist Paulos Asrat
Reply from Fentster:
Fentster GalleryEmail to Shellie Zhang: (actually I used her message form on her website):
To: camera-----@yahoo.com
Apr 9 at 2:29 PM
Thank you for your inquiry -- the neon signs on display in our current exhibition are original designs by artist Shellie Zhang.
You can read more about the project on our website: http://fentster.org/#/wholesome-amusement/
And here: https://canadianart.ca/features/shellie-zhang-recovers-spectral-traces-from-a-diasporic-past/
And, of course, if you visit the exhibition in-person -- this is also explained in the curatorial text displayed there
From: Kidist Paulos AsratEmail From Shellie Zhang:
To: Shelle Zhang
Apr 10 at 2:34 AM
Dear Shellie,
I am an artist who is interested in cross-cultural communications.
Regarding your work now on display at the "Fentster: A Window into Jewish Life Through Art" exhibition, could you inform me if the pieces are found objects (e.g. neon lights from the historical buildings) or originals you created yourself through blown or sculpted glass.
Thank you,
Kidist Paulos Asrat
Shellie ZhangIt fascinating that Zhang used the passive "were created" to describe her "method." I went afAnd the Fentster curators also used similar language: "the neon signs on display in our current exhibition are original designs by artist Shellie Zhang." What does "original designs" mean? She drew them on paper? She took photographs of them and photo-manipulated them in photoshop?
To:camera.....@yahoo.com
Apr 10 at 7:12 PM
Hi Kidist,
The works were created for the exhibition, not found.
Is this for your own personal research?
Best,
Shellie
Ater that, I went to the nearby Living Arts Center Glass Studio. As always, the place is busy and HOT (these are hand-blown glass). I knock gently on the window - we are encouraged to watch these processes, but not to interrupt. The glass-blower was on a short pause anyway. I ask him about the glass that Zhang used. He knows what I'm talking about.
"It industrial glass, from sodium silicate. There are a couple of places in Toronto that make it."
"Is that sy or si?"
"Si - Silicate."
"You must know the work that Zhang - she's exhibited at the Living Arts Centre previously - did at Fenster, Fentster, Gallery in Toronto? Did you assist her with the glass rods?"
"No. Those are industrial type glasses. There's places in Toronto who can do that."
"Thank you! Bye!"
"Have a good day now."
