I looked and looked. I searched via the store's computer catalogue. I went into sections where I knew the book shouldn't be but tried anyway.
Finally, I asked one of the store assistants to help me, but to no avail.
I was very disappointed. This, according to my email notification, was the last day to redeem my "free" dollars.
I took a couple of breaths, and looked again at the $2-5 stacks.
Then I found this!
The Well-Dressed Lady's Pocket Guide
By Karen Homer
Wow!
It is a tiny book, 4x6.5", hardback, and with a creative illustration, a wispy ink drawing on the cover. (The lady's earring and the book title are in a metallic silver, which looks grey when I use photoshop.)

I skimmed through it and I liked the chapters (a good start):
- Shapes and Silhouettes
- Dresses
- Skirts
The final one being: "Your Wardrobe."
But you can't have it all; there is a section on jeans. How can you be a "lady" in jeans? Maybe they got that song title wrong: Lady in Blue and thought it meant "blue jeans."
Anyway so far so good despite glitches.
The introduction ends like this:
With the disappearance of universal fashion etiquette and previously unimaginable social mobility of the last 50 years, it might seem the wish to be well-dressed, with its connotations of snobbery and elitism, has fallen out of favour. But many women realize they want a style that endures - essentially classic, yet still individual, giving a nod to fashion but always appropriate. And while good clothes can be more expensive when compared to the disposable attitude to fashion - buy it cheap then throw it away - compiling a well-thought-out wardrobe that wll cover any occasions more economical in the long run. And that's exactly what this pocket book for the well-dressed woman will teach you how to do.
