Thursday, November 22, 2018

Beauty and Aesthetics Matter Quite a Bit


Church of the Holy Innocents
128 West 37th Street
New York




Ms. Asrat,

I really enjoy your blog. It’s changed how I think and that doesn’t happen
every day. I’ve begun drawing and pl[a]ying music again after a long hiatus
because you’ve convinced me that beauty and aesthetics do matter, and they
matter quite a bit. I’ve been back in school for civil engineering for a
year now, I was hoping to find out what makes these people tick, these
people who make these hideous things, and to see if there was anything I
could do about it.

[...]

Have you been to a traditional Latin high mass at the Church of the Holy
Innocents in Midtown Manhattan?

Thanks for making so much grist for the mill,

D...

------------

Dear D...

Thanks so much for your encouraging words. Yes beauty and aesthetics matter quite a bit!

[...]

I haven't been to the Church of the Holy Innocents, although I am sure I have walked past it. I'm sure I remember seeing the beautiful exterior and walking up to have a closer look. And the name sounds very familiar.

[...]

Keep up the studies. Despite all the ugly buildings, there is a wealth of information available through schools and libraries, and we can make our own creations. Don't be discouraged by the direction your professors will undoubtedly take, which is to teach you how to build those ugly buildings (you might even get some Fs!). But once you're done, you can forge ahead and build those beautiful buildings.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Kidist