Monday, November 12, 2018

Statistics


The Underbelly of China's Impoverished Rural Regions
Image Source:
From February 2017 article: Social transfers in rural China: Do they contribute to poverty reduction?
In press release by Leibniz Institute of Agricultural Development in Transition Economies
Photo: Zhanli Sun © IAMO



Here is an email correspondence I recently had regarding statistics:



Dear---,

I hope you are doing well. I am sorry that I can no longer attend the meetings that --- organizes. Hopefully my schedule will change in the near future .

I would like to ask your advice as a statistician on current global population movements, and if you have any suggestions on how I can find reliable information on the following issue.

Here in Mississauga (a suburb of Toronto), I am seeing an incredible rise in Chinese immigrants. Usually immigrants from non-Western countries have relatively low incomes, and past Chinese immigrants have been no different. But this latest influx is of wealthy Chinese.

Would you know how to find out the population statistics on current Chinese in China? For example what percentage of the population is wealthy, and what is poor? Or if there is a substantial middle class (by Western standards)? My gut feeling is that the majority of Chinese haven't broken into that middle class range and still live at some level of poverty. These wealthy Chinese immigrants may also be camouflaging a temporary gain in money, as their financial sources in China dwindle sooner than later.

For example, the frenzy over real estate in Toronto (and Vancouver) by Chinese may reach a crisis when (I believe, and not if) mortgages become difficult to keep up. These Chinese also are not citizens and can simply "go back home" when things get tough, after they have disrupted the financial climate of these countries.

To make a long question simpler: is there any statistical information on the Chinese population both in China (and I guess Hong Kong) and those who have recently moved/immigrated to the US and Canada?

I am in the process of writing a book on Mississauga and the effects of immigration, both historical and contemporary, on the city's development.

Thanks,

Kidist

--------------------------------------------

Kidist,

No, unfortunately. I don't have any sources, more than you could get from on-line searching. Hard to trust data in any case, China being what it is.

Hope the book goes well!

---

--------------------------------------------

Thanks, ----, for your insight.

But did you mean "hard to trust data in any case China being what it is"

to be:

"hard to trust data from China in any case China being what it is"

China is especially deceitful, and now they have a global plan. They are now all over Africa in a strange form of colonization. What we see is them dumping their own workers by the thousands from the underbelly of their impoverished rural regions into Africa to work in their factories which they "promise" these African leaders will bring them work and prosperity.

As you may know I have an ABD in Nutritional Sciences (from the University of Connecticut) and it was fascinating how we could "manipulate" data to mean what we wanted it to say especially with population studies (epidemiology). My work which relied on clinical data (Vitamin B12 deficiency) had all the "hard" data but still the health planners and others - especially my university professors seeking huge government grants - could translate it to mean what they wanted it to. I quit the program before my results got published (in various clinical journals).

Kidist