Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Mercer Correspondence Updated for Content and Information:
"Smart" Denegrations, Especially in Emails, Stick Around

Recently, a correspondent emails:
I never read Vdare...Just not interested in it. Are you talking about Ilana Mercer? Oh yeah, she's just a total Jewish shill, like Faith Goldy.
From Wikipedia:
A shill, also called a plant or a stooge, is a person who publicly helps or gives credibility to a person or organization without disclosing that they have a close relationship with the person or organization. Shills can carry out their operations in the areas of media, journalism, marketing, politics, confidence games, or other business areas. A shill may also act to discredit opponents or critics of the person or organization in which they have a vested interest through character assassination or other means.
Here is one of my recent posts on Mercer where I question her alliance with Israel:
Ilana Mercer, in her biography on her website, writes:
Ilana is a fellow at the Jerusalem Institute for Market Studies (an award-winning, independent, non-profit, free-market economic policy think tank).
She is listed at the JIMS website "team" as a "Media Fellow."

The JIMS states its mission as:
...promot[ing] social progress in Israel through economic freedom and individual liberty.
What is Mercer doing writing for an organization with political roots in Israel?
Below is Mercer's attempt to discredit me, albeit through email interaction. I believe she meant to silence me. Below is an excerpt from an email "correspondence" I had with Mercer in 2009, after I questioned her "collective" loyalty to a nation, due to her libertarian "individualism" ideology, regarding her July 4, 2009 article A July 4th Toast to Thomas Jefferson - And the Declaration. She wrote back to me, but with disdain, not acknowledging me, even though she was replying to me!
KPA: On a comment about collective feelings of grief, you made that sound like an impossibility, since only "individuals" feel grief. Yes, nations grieve, nations rejoice. This is not a communist thing. Of course it is composed of individuals, and of course each individual grieves idiosyncratically. But, a collective grief does occur. I was struck by your inability to see this.
Mercer: The other laughable issue is the accusation that I lack a healthy nationalism. Again, bloggers proudly display their absolute ignorance--they have no qualms about never studying the object of their expansive, idiot, smug comments.
This was in 2009. I posted on this on my Camera Lucida blog on July 4, 2009 (her article came a day earlier at World Net Daily). The full interaction is on July 5, 2009, at Camera Lucida.

Well it's now 2020! "Smart" denegrations, especially in emails, stick around.